Macedonia

Macedonia
An afternoon in Ohrid

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Creken Bozhik and Gezuar Krishtlindjet



Creken Bozhik and Gezuar Krishtlindjet! Or at least Boxing Day, since today is the day after Christmas. I'm having a Boxing Day party tonight and have stockings hung, if not by the chimney, at least with care. It actually wasn't Christmas in Macedonia - Orthodox Christmas is celebrated on the 7th of January. But we started the holiday season early, first with a Hanukkah party, then a Christmas party last night, and tonight a Boxing Day party! Next week I'm hoping to go to Struga for the big New Year's celebration there - it is supposed to be quite the event! We do work in the Peace Corps, but Macedonia is a country that likes celebrations, and December and January are full of them. After New Year's there is Christmas and then the old New Year, so more celebrations to come! I'm anxious to see them all.
Last week was cold with ice and snow. I've attached a picture from out my kitchen window so you can see what I get to see every day. My apartment overlooks a small park, and beyond that are the mountains. Gostivar is surrounded by three sides by mountains of varying heights - these are some of the smaller mountains. I'm hoping to get up to the sheep pastures next spring or summer.
We've had a warm wind blow in, and today the temperature is a very mild 50 degrees - it is quite lovely out. Some volunteers were going to test out the ski centers here today, and I hope the warmth hasn't scuttled those plans. The snow is completely gone here, something that does not fill me with sadness! It's treacherous walking - snow quickly turns to ice. While there is some street cleaning, pedestrians are left to their own devices on the sidewalks, and last Tuesday the town was a skating rink. I had expected a climate more like New Hampshire, but so far it's been considerably warmer.
My Christmas present here was getting internet in my apartment, so I'm no longer dependent on someone with Wifi to be able to write e-mails and blog. I also got cable TV - and have been watching CNN international as I breakfast in the morning. I'm lucky to be in a town where things are available. My big joke is that I had to come to Macedonian to get good internet service - in Marlow we were dependent on telephone modems, and here I have a wireless connection!
Life is good. Have a wonderful week of celebrations of life!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments, everyone. I love to see people's reactions to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the view from the kitchen and Joe likes the stockings. Sunny and cold here today. Cracks us up you get wireless and cable. The cell phones and internet don't work at Gooseberry Point either. b

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely apartment! The cupboard with the hanging stockings is just gorgeous. Really, you don't seem to be roughing it, do you! Joe says I should visit you. I think that's a good idea, too! Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next you will be telling us you watched Jay last nite, or Martha. Do you get the BBC? Moscow live, oh Do tell us more!Oh ya you will be ordering from ebay and Amazon too! I just sent a package off to Norway and Goggled the guy's address, wow, did he live in a nice place, you could see it was a mansion. Did you send me your address on my email?? Then I can goggle you even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's great to hear that Macedonians like to celebrate. So what's the local drink? Vodka mixed with something?

    ReplyDelete